Tuesday, August 4

a tribute to Tita Cory

“Magkaisa (may pag-asa kang matatanaw) At magsama (bagong umaga, bagong araw)Kapit-kamay (sa atin Siya'y nagmamahal)Sa bagong pag-asa”

a pic from the net in Paseo de Roxas after a short ceremony at Ninoy's monument

I’ve been one of those thousands of people who lined-up Ayala Avenue during the Funeral convoy of former President Corazon Aquino as her remains was transferred from Greenhills to Manila Cathedral. I, together with my colleagues, manager and even our Japanese General Manager went down all the way from the 21st floor of our building at around 11:30 that noon to witness and bid our last tribute and respect. (I have with me an N70 phone, took pictures and videos but don't have card reader available. *Sigh!) The convoy came at around 1pm (Yes! We managed to endure the 1.5hours of heat! Lol!).

I was about to just peek in, so I did not bring umbrella and even hanky with me. But to my great surprise, for that particular noon, Ayala Avenue became the witness of the suppressed cries of the Filipino people. Everybody’s chanting Cory! Cory! Cory! There were yellow banners with Pres. Cory and Senator Ninoy Aquino’s face on them, people were in their ‘LABAN’ signs, yellow ribbons, and balloons and confetti’s were raining everywhere.

It was as if I’ve been pushed to the street to experience ‘again’ what it feels like being a Filipino. We walked along the crowd, a familiar scenario during our ‘Iskolar ng Bayan’ college days. Actually, for me, the whole thing was not just to pay tribute to the late president in particular. It is mourning for the passing of somebody who stands firmly to what is right thru the mightiest weapon of all- the rosary. It is applauding somebody for the triumphant battle she just made in her life’s journey and the silent cry of hope of the Filipino people for transparent and honest governance as she’d shown.

Everything has been said. Every detail has been written.

I didn’t able to participate in the 1986 EDSA Revolt for I was what? 2 years old? But somehow, I did able to give my share in this generations’ farewell thanks to the one responsible for the democracy we’re enjoying these days. I may not be able to meet her personally anymore, but I’m thankful I’ve had much of her that I may tell to my kids in the future.

To President Cory, thank you very much! We owe you a lot!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails